By visiting the Site or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service located here, including its applicable limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes. SwearBy’s Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
This website is operated from the United States and designed for users in the USA. Our website is not intended for users in the European Economic Area or other users outside the USA. If you access our website from outside the USA, please note that the privacy laws of the USA may not require equivalent protections for your personal information as the applicable laws in the jurisdiction in which you are located.
- Information We Collect About You
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Share Your Information
- Third-Party Ad Networks
- Third-Party Links
- Security of My Personal Information
- Access to My Personal Information
- California Privacy Rights
- Children under 13
- Contact Us
- Information We Collect About You
We collect information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You. Certain features of our Services require registration. To be a Registered User, you must provide your full name and email address, If you are an Editor, you must provide your full name, email address, and your age range. If you are an Editor, we also may collect additional optional information from you such as your phone number, mailing address, social media profiles, and areas of interest and/or expertise; however, you are not required to provide us with this information.
Information We Collect Automatically. We may automatically collect information about your use of our Site or Services through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, including technologies designed for mobile apps. We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information Please see the section “Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms” below for more information.
- Domain name;
- Your browser type and operating system;
- Web pages you view; links you click; your IP address;
- The length of time you visit our Site and/or use our Services;
- Geolocation. We use Facebook Pixel, which automatically collects geolocation information. You can opt out of this by adjusting your privacy settings on Facebook.
- The referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our Site,
- How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- Providing and Improving our Services: To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- Tailoring Content: To tailor the products, content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- Marketing and Communications: For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your mobile phone number or email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. If you have provided us with your social media profile, we may tag you or mention you in our social media posts. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- Research and Analytics: To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- Legal Compliance: To comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding; to respond to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process; or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a governmental authority.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
- SwearBy Business Partners: We share Editors’ content that they post with other Editors, Registered Users, and Visitors.
- Business Partners: We work with partner companies to allow Editors opportunities to swear by those companies’ products. So that partner companies can evaluate their own products, we may provide them de-identified information of Registered Users, and the names of our Editors.
- Service Providers: We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf.
- Business Transfers: If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process: We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information: We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may opt-out of targeted advertising by following the instructions in the Third Party Ad Network section.
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer’s hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our Site and Services, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our Site and Service. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Site. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Site.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, and to display advertising both on our Site and on third-party sites.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features may not function.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Editors may post reviews, photos, and links to videos or other websites. If you post content to our Services, all of the information you post will be available to Visitors, Registered Users, and Editors. If you post content to our Services, your posting may become public and SwearBy cannot prevent such information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite our best efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access To My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile information. If you choose to leave the site, you can request that we delete your personal information by contacting us at [email protected] Please note that we will delete your personal information, but the content you have generated will remain on the site.
California Privacy Rights
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once per calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g. requests made in 2017 will receive information regarding 2016 sharing activities).
To obtain this information from us, please send an email message to [email protected] with “Request for California Privacy Information” on the subject line and in the body of the message. We will provide the requested information to you at your e-mail address in response. Not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails or text messages to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving e-mails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at [email protected]
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at https://swearby.com/privacy. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, and/or by emailing Users.